The annual High school woodworking award program was again supported by the East Bay club the "Diablo Woodworkers" in May of 2009. Students from local High Schools submitted thier projects. Judges from the Diablo Woodworkers evaluated all the submitted student work.
High School woodworking students received awards at the Diablo Woodworkers competition. The awards were gift certificates from a variety of woodworking stores, hardware stores and lumber suppliers.
- Checkerboard table - Nick Hoversten - Acalanes
- Table - Kyle Tse - Mission San Jose
- Canoe - Liz Summer-Reid - San Leandro, and People's Choice (Entry earning the most votes from those attending the event)
- Ukelele - Cory Picolla - Campolindo
- Bandsaw box - Lucus Dunne - Las Lomas
- Tortilla press - Liz Alvarez - San Leandro
- Segmented bowl - Scott Logan - Las Lomas
- Segmented Bowl - Phil Levy - Las Lomas
- Platter - Mike Jamison - Las Lomas
Diablo Woodworkers, a non-fee class in the Mt. Diablo Unified School District's Adult Education program, raised money for awards. According to Club Chairman Bill Tarleton, support came from members, wood artists, and the following local vendors:
- Bay Area Carbide, Concord
- Bridge City Tools
- Diablo Woodworkers
- Eames Hardware, Pleasant Hill
- General Plumbing and Supply, Walnut Creek
- Hardwood Resources, Concord
- Hock Tools
- Iron Horse Plumbing
- Lafayette Woodworking, Walnut Creek
- Lie Neilsen
- MacBeath Hardwoods, Berkeley
- Moore-Newton Lumber
- Rockler, Pleasant Hill
- Surebuilt Construction
- Woodcraft, Dublin
Thanks to Rich Schwerin for taking the photos at the meeting. What a Terrific Meeting this was! Thanks again to Jeff Traeger and his committee for putting this very successful competition together.
See photos of the contest entries.